BWB Consulting is providing multi-disciplinary engineering services to Arena Central Developments Ltd for this exciting project in the heart of Birmingham's city centre. The 9.2 acre site was home to a number of derelict buildings, including the former Carlton Television studios, an exhibition centre, leisure club and multi-storey car park. We have delivered full civil, structural, transportation, flood risk and geo-environmental consultancy services including extensive negotiations with Network Rail.
The development slopes 12 meters from Broad Street to Holliday Street, has adjacent constraints with Network Rail tunnels crossing the site in two locations requiring in tunnel monitoring as part of the Basic Asset Protection Agreement, Party Wall boundaries with the existing Crowne Plaza hotel, Historic Listed Banking hall and adjacent public footpaths and highways, deep underground basement structures.
BWB provided engineering consultancy services for the whole site which included:
- Demolition consultancy including temporary works specifications of the balance of the site including the former Registry Office fronting Broad Street, exhibition centre, leisure club, former Carlton TV Studios and retail units.
- Construction of an urban meadow creating a central green spine running through the site from Broad Street in the north to Holliday Street in the south
- Formation of oven ready development plots along Bridge Street laid to seed for visual amenities prior to construction
- 3D laser scan and topographical surveys of existing buildings that are to be both demolished and retained such that they could be carefully coordinated into the new development plans
- Producing movement monitoring plans for the contractors and Network rail to ensure nuisance and disruption to adjacent premises was minimised and to ensure no structural distress was caused during both demolition and construction