The Core Valley Lines (CVL) Transformation is a £740m programme of works that forms a significant part of the South Wales Metro Project. Amey Infrastructure Wales is delivering a variety of infrastructure upgrades including:
Overhead Line Electrification of significant amount of the network
- Platform extensions to facilitate new trains
- Refurbishment of a number of stations
- A new depot at Taffs Well.
- Renewing and upgrading large sections of track
BWB have been brought in through their existing professional services framework with Amey Consulting, to support with the delivery of Track and lineside Civils designs. BWB completed multiple outline (GRIP4) track designs of the Rhymney branch of the South Wales Metro system in the summer of 2021.
- S&C and new track for a new platform and an extension to the existing single platform at Rhymney station.
- Double tracking over a mile of the route between Tir-Phil and Pontlottyn.
- Track lowering through a bridge at Llanishen to facilitate OLE electrification and platform coper adjustments for level boarding.
- Line Speed Increase designs through Cardiff Central Station.
Additionally BWB Civils team delivered a detailed (GRIP5) bridge waterproofing design at Abedare.