Blackpool Tower is an iconic grade 1 listed landmark and a great feat of Victorian engineering. Built in 1894 and standing at 518 feet, the steel structure is not the only part of the tower complex as it also houses a world renowned ballroom and circus arena. BWB have been involved in the renovation, maintenance and general upkeep of the Tower since 1990.
This includes many different projects including:
- Installation of new passenger lifts
- Installation of the Walk of Fear - a 1m square glass floor
- Painting of the tower gold
- Installation of a Fanta sign down the length of the tower
- Major refurbishment of the tower structure including repainting & steelwork replacement
Most recently BWB have been involved with the 8-year maintenance project where high pressure water has been used to remove all of the original lead based paint and replace it with a 2 pack epoxy. This project has involved the replacement and repair of corroded steelwork over the entire tower.
We have been employed as supervising structural engineers to provide advice on:
- Replacement of any exposed corroded steelwork
- Removal festoon lighting with LEDs
- Renovation of the Tower Top
- Installation of the Tower Eye - a glass wall & floor along the whole of the west side of the tower
- Installation of the Beating Heart
BWB have also been involved in other areas of the complex including:
- Installation of a marine turtle tank in the aquarium
- Installation of the Dawn of Time ride
- Renovation of Level 5 into Jungle Jims play area
- Ballroom roof replacement (back to original lead roof)
- Brick & terracotta tile elevation renovation & window replacement
- Ballroom Sliding roof replacement & original glass roof renovation
- Installation of theming to new Dungeons attraction.