Blackpool Borough Council
Blackpool Tower is an iconic grade 1 listed landmark and a great feat of Victorian engineering. Built in 1894 and standing at 518 feet, the steel structure is not the only part of the tower complex as it also houses a world renowned ballroom and circus arena. BWB have been involved in the renovation, maintenance and general upkeep of the Tower since 1990. Our commission has allowed BWB to become involved in many different projects. Most recently BWB have been involved with the 8-year maintenance project where high pressure water has been used to remove all of the original lead based paint and replace it with a 2 pack epoxy. This project has involved the replacement and repair of corroded steelwork over the entire tower.
We have been employed as supervising structural engineers to provide advice on:
- Replacement of any exposed corroded steelwork
- Removal festoon lighting with LEDs
- Renovation of the Tower Top
- Installation of the Tower Eye - a glass wall & floor along the whole of the west side of the tower
- Installation of the Beating Heart
BWB have also been involved in other areas of the complex including:
- Installation of a marine turtle tank in the aquarium
- Installation of the Dawn of Time ride
- Renovation of Level 5 into Jungle Jims play area
- Ballroom roof replacement (back to original lead roof)
- Brick & terracotta tile elevation renovation & window replacement
- Ballroom Sliding roof replacement & original glass roof renovation
- Installation of theming to Dungeons attraction.