CAF Rail Services
BWB have been appointed to undertake the surveys and option selection for the gauging workstream of the new Class 197 rolling stock within the Wales and Borders region. BWB will be undertaking the following:
- Topographical surveys at over 20 sites where there are clearance issues. This includes surveys of station platforms, tunnels and lineside equipment.
- Gauging analysis through niche software to determine if the existing structure(s) are foul or clear of the proposed rolling stock.
- Production of option selection reports where intervention is required. This involves close liaison with the client, operator and contractor to ensure the options presented are all viable and economical.
BWB's role undertaking the above work is also in addition to undertaking the contractors engineering manager (CEM), project manager and principal designer (PD) under CDM. BWB assisted the client in preparing the scope of work by reviewing initial gauging analysis by others to determine which sites may require surveys. BWB also assisted with producing the gauging workstream programme to determine realistic dates for certification. BWB's PD role has included activities including but not limited to:
- Production of a CDM plan outlining roles of all relevant parties including competency assessments
- Assisting client with obtaining relevant pre-construction information and producing per-construction information packs including but not limited to:
- Any existing health and safety files across for the sites
- Buried services utility information
- Unexploded ordnance
- Record drawings
- Historical maps
- Ensuring all hazards and risks are identified and communicated clearly to all parties with a strategy to either eliminate or control.
- Safe by Design reviews